What is a Behavioral Email?
A behavioral email is an email message whose content is customized based on the recipient's past behavior. Such behaviors include individual opens, clicks, replies, and other track-able actions on prior emails. Behaviors can also include external actions, such as abandoned carts and advertisement retargeting. Marketing strategies that include list segmentation -- applying tags to subscribers based on their location in a specific funnel -- use behavioral emails to amplify their
- A firstname.lastname@example.org opens an invitation and clicks on the link, but he/she does not complete the invitation form.
- Two3 days later, email@example.com receives a behavioral email inviting him/her back to complete the form.
How to Handle Behavioral Email in Digital Marketing?
The potential of behavioral email marketing is only limited by the business activities that the sender is involved in. As long as something can be tracked, every aspect of a subscriber's known behavior can be used to enhance the relationship through personalization. It may be wise to exercise some restrain with regards to how the customer or subscriber is addressed.
- Subscribers' segmentation
- Device and content optimization
- List cleansing
- Web-based remarketing
- Extensive personalization
- Targeted promotions
- Lead scoring
Also Known as:
- Personalized emails
- Behavioral targeting